Why is it so difficult to make positive changes when experiencing chronic diseases?
You may eat healthy, exercise, get enough sunshine and rest … all of this may help, but somehow you still suffer with chronic illness. One reason is that you may have a predisposition toward an illness if you inherited it from a parent. However, not all chronic illnesses can be explained this way.
From a Chinese medicine point of view, the mind and body are not separate entities. Every emotion brings a physical response from the body. When a person gets nervous, his heart rate increases and he may sweat. When a person is happy, their eyes widen, their facial muscles lift and they open their chest more. Health is directly connected to emotions. All your life history is stored in your body as memory. Unresolved negative emotions block the flow of your Qi. Later, it affects your body and may become actual disease. At some point in time, spend time revisiting some of those old, unresolved memories and emotions. Acknowledge them and try to understand why you might feel that way.
If you feel you are eating healthily, exercising, getting enough sunshine and rest, but you are still not feeling your best, here are some physical manifestations and their emotional factors or “mind patterns” which may be causing physical imbalances:
• Imbalances with the eye: not wanting to or not being able to go inward and see what the “real issues” are in your life. Not wanting to see other people’s view points. Anger towards society.
• Hearing problems: not wanting to or not being able to hear the inner voice that is trying to get your attention. Wanting to shut out the rest of the world and not hear about any problems. An unresolved fear to hear what is really going on around you.
• Problems with turning neck: not wanting to see anyone else’s point of view or idea
• A stiff neck symbolizes stubbornness and refusal to bend one’s view point. Swelling in the front of the neck means you are not able to express your viewpoint.
• Shoulder problems: excessive burden in life. Having a difficult time with making decisions in life. Cannot digest and absorb things in life.
• Imbalance in the chest: feeling of excess weight from life, not being able to breathe in all that life has to offer.
• Problems with the stomach: difficulty with absorbing and assimilating the energies of life.
• Liver problems: if we are not able to release anger, over a period of time we will not be able to see and understand clearly. Our viewpoint becomes muddled and may set up further problems.
• Knee: afraid of going forward in one’s life.
• Wrist: lack of love in one’s life and or not being able to release sadness.
• Back: no support in your life, excessive fear
• Buttocks: get off your butt and make some decisions in your life!
Source: Esoteric Acupuncture II
Dr. Mikio Sankey, Ph.D., L.Ac